Reflecting On A Week in Snowdonia

I have just returned from a week trekking in Snowdonia. It was the first serious trekking holiday I had done in 5 years (Slovenia in 2017) and only the 3rd ever (Morocco in 2004.)

Q: What did I learn?

  1. Boots - buy boots that work for you!
    • My first pair of boots - which I bought a month before the trek, and tried out on flat ground - the first time I went up a steep hill, I could feel blisters starting to develop. And the first time I went down a steep hill, my toes (right little toe especially) were striking the front. My feet were in agony. After 3 days trekking, we had a day off, and I bought a new pair of boots, much softer, not so high, not leather but fabric boots (with Gore Tex and Vibram sole) and I much more enjoyed my walking from then on.
    • Your boots - more than anything else - can make or break your trekking enjoyment. Get a pair of walking boots that work for you. Really, they just need to be waterproof (Gore Tex) with a good grippy sole (Vibram sole). Ankle support is really only important if you have weak ankles or you think you might get tired and clumsy towards the  end of a days walk, and  want ankle protection in case you stumble badly (even then, the high boots may not help you.)
    • Better to have too big boots than too small. If your boots are too big, look at buying a quality insole to fill the boot out more. Superfeet Green Insole or Superfeet Trailblazer Insole are expensive, but worth it if they make your walking more enjoyable.
  2. Gore Tex fabric boots from time to time will need Nikwax waterproofing sprayed on (leather requires waxing - with a beeswax product - every so often.)
  3. Check out HF Holidays for Scotland walking holidays and more...
  4. Sealskin socks are worth checking out for wet weather foot protection.
  5. Remember to stretch the compeed! (if not, it won't stay on long)
  6. You can get toe protectors.

Q: What did I take away from it?

  1. Value - learn to appreciate the value in things, endeavor to find value, and endeavor to give value. Some things are a massive waste of time because you get very little value from that time wasted. Other things have tremendous value. I will do another post on this.
  2. What next? The final two days of the holiday were my best two days (amazing the difference comfortable boots brings) and it made me think where would I like to go next.
    1. Walking in Scotland [2] - I've never done any walking in Scotland
    2. Lake District Ridge Walks [1]
    3. Kilimanjaro - Expensive but have always fancied it.
    4. Andorra
    5. & More...

APPENDIX