Motivation: Is it as easy as saying "I want/I don't want to do this"?

Motivation is a key factor in our success.

It is very easy to be distracted in this modern life, so how do we make ourselves rise above these distractions and do what we need to do (and not do stuff we should not be doing)?

I have struggled all my life with motivation. I don't actually think I am a lazy person - I don't couch out (well hardly ever) - I like to be busy with my mind occupied, but the problem is that sometimes I am busy doing the wrong thing!

Then today, I thought, is it actually very simple to motivate myself in this way which we'll discuss next!?

How To Motivate Yourself

Q: How to motivate yourself to do the things you should be doing (like working)?

A: Say "I want to do this XXX" or "I want to do XXX until HH:MM."

Examples:

"I want to solve this problem."

"I want to work on this task until 12:00."

"I want to finish this glass of water."

How to De-Motivate Yourself

Q: How to de-motivate yourself from doing things you should not be doing?

A: Say "I do not want to do XXX" or "I want to avoid XXX until after HH:MM."

Examples:

"I do not want to look at THISFORUM (ever again)."

"I do not want to look at ANOTHERFORUM until after 20:00."

"I do not want to look at YOUTUBE!"

Comment

If we are not firm with our playful mind about what we want to do, then our playful mind will tell us what it wants us to do, and we end up exhausted from the fight of self vs mind, with the mind usually winning! If we are clear with our mind "I want to do this!" then we will get it done!

Other examples:

"I want to finish every last drop of this cup of coffee before I get another drink!" (Are you forever half drinking your cups of coffee and discarding them when cold!? Now you have a reason to not be so wasteful!)

Similarly:
"I want to finish every last drop of this glass of water before I get another drink!"