How to Quit Stuff! (Like YouTube and Facebook)

For the last 5 years or so, I've been quite addicted to YouTube/Facebook. I get a little bit bored with what I'm doing, or lose focus, and I'm on the tappy-tappy watching something on YouTube, or reading a post on Facebook. And nothing much has worked - so far - to stop me doing this.

I did try dopamine detox, but that didn't work for me. Temporarily it did, but the reality is that I don't like denying myself stuff. Trying to detox myself by denying myself things I like and that I get some pleasure out of, didn't ultimately feel like a healthy detox.

Now I may have found something that works.

Nothing Really Matters

My last post - Nothing Really Matters! - may have found the answer.

It doesn't matter if I watch YouTube or not. Since it doesn't matter I could do it, or I can not do it, and it really doesn't matter either way. But, since I don't need to do it, and that doesn't matter, let's simply not do it.

Everything is a waste of time. YouTube/Facebook are mostly a bad waste of time (as opposed to something productive which would be a good waste of time.) So if it doesn't matter whether you do something or not, well, might as well not bother doing the things that are a bad waste of time. Simple!

  • Nothing really matters!
  • Everything is a waste of time!
  • Some things feel like a productive use of time (good waste of time).
  • If it doesn't really matter if you do something or you don't do that something
  • and since it doesn't really matter either way:
  • Let's do things that are a good waste of time
  • and not do things that are a bad waste of time!

Note: As of 21st April 2021 I have quit Facebook - hurrah!

Note: I've not quit YouTube mainly because I like to listen to 'Alan Watts' recording. Also, I tend to only look at YouTube when I have say 10 minutes or so spare, because the videos I want to watch (normally automotive content) are 10 minutes or longer. YouTube is more like a lunch whereas Facebook is like snacking, and you know the snacks are not good for you but you can't resist because the snack is addictive.