What I Learned in 2020! And How I Am Going to Apply it to 2021!


 The festive break is drawing to a close. I am back to work tomorrow, Monday 4th January, and I do not totally know what I am doing. I know I will be working from home, but I do not know if I will be working or doing self-study or something else...

It would be nice to have a job where I know what I am doing!

Reflecting back on the festive break. It was a good break. Did not do much but got a few blog posts done, did a bit of career related development, went running over half a dozen times, ate lots of food, visited/met with family members, chilled out with an alcoholic beverage and a movie(s). All-in-all it was a very good festive break, and I am a little sad it is over. These breaks make me wish I was super rich and retired!


Looking back over 2020 Posts - what did I learn from 2020? And more importantly - what do I want to remember?

  •  “The Meaning of Life is just to be alive!” - Alan Watts
  • “We do not ‘come into’ this world, we come out of it...” - Alan Watts
  • “Life is NOT a journey!” - Alan Watts
  • Don’t forget to dance! “... we missed the point (of life) the whole way along ... you were supposed to ... dance while the music was being played.” - Alan Watts 

  • It is better to be lucky than good!
  • “Learn-it-alls will always be better than know-it-alls” Don’t worry if you don’t know something, or know something very little, believe in your ability to learn-it-all! 

  • "Nothing in the world can take the place of PERSISTENCE. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. PERSISTENCE and DETERMINATION alone are omnipotent..." - Calvin Coolidge 

  • Remember how good it feels to help (people/colleagues/customers.)”
  • The majority of your time should be freely devoted to helping yourself/others.” 

  • When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ... - Marcus Aurelius
  •  “Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself in your way of thinking.” - Marcus Aurelius
  • Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together... - Marcus Aurelius
  • “You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” - Marcus Aurelius
  •  “Look well into thyself; there is a source of strength which will always spring up if thou wilt always look.” - Marcus Aurelius
  •  “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” - Marcus Aurelius 

  • The most significant Change in a person’s life is a change of Attitude. Right Attitudes produce Right Actions.” - William J Johnston.
  •  “Don’t work for money, work for knowledge!” - Robert Kiyosaki
  • “And don’t be a 9 to 5-er!” - Robert Kiyosaki

  • Dopamine Detox!
  • The work-from-home lock-in method!

 

How am I going to apply these learnings to 2021? 

  1. I must remember to dance!
  2. I won’t feel guilty about my good luck (I’m incredibly lucky to have health, a beautiful wife, a great job, a great house, great cars ...)
  3. I will endeavour to learn-it-all in areas of expertise where I can help people.
  4. I will endeavour to help customers/colleagues/the firm (and of course family).
  5. When I arise in the morning, I will think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love...
  6. I will accept the things to which fate binds me (like work), and love the people with who fate brings me together...
  7. I will practice right attitude (especially towards working)
  8. I will practice dopamine detox and work-from-home lock-in!*

*I will re-engineer my dopamine detox routine in a future post.