The Fabled ‘Work/Life Balance’ is a Lie!

I have come to the conclusion that this fabled ‘work/life balance’ that we are all supposed to strive towards, is in fact very misleading. I no longer believe in this concept of ‘work/life balance’ and neither should you!

The misconception comes from thinking you should be leading a completely separate life for work. Whilst I totally agree that you need to find time for your loved ones, work & life is the same thing.

For a few years I’ve been struggling with this whole ‘work/life balance thing’. I’d usually work well more than my 40 hours a week, and started resenting the extra time I spent on work, as if I should have a work life and a totally separate life life.

Well, now I know differently. Work & life is one. If you want to spend all your time working, that’s no bad thing (of course, you need time for your loved ones).

 

Here’s my example:

I like thinking. I don’t like vacantly staring at a television. I like doing stuff with my mind. Reading is okay but I’d rather be thinking productive thoughts. And therein lays the problem with work/life balance: am I supposed to only think productive thoughts 9 to 5 and then outside this time think unproductive life thoughts?

Honestly, if I’m not thinking about work and doing work, learning new skills for work, or developing my work expertise; then I am largely unproductive.

And because I fell for this ‘work/life balance’, thinking I should have a life outside of work, my time outside working hours was wasted on trivial stuff: either playing computer games (which I don’t really like doing because it is a total waste of time - but it is a great distraction), thinking about cars (thinking about buying my next car usually and wasting a tonne of cash), and other quite un-useful thoughts.


There is no work/life balance, there is just life. And if you’re always working (relaxed, unstressed, and enjoying/interested in what you are doing) then that it totally cool!

 

Check out:

The dishonest myth of work-life balance

https://resources.workable.com/stories-and-insights/work-life-balance-myth