There is a Time and a Place for your Passions

For a few years I have been struggling with motivation towards my chosen (by fate) career path. I work in IT, and there have been times where I have been quite passionate about IT, at least it might have seemed I was passionate about IT, but there may have been something else I was passionate about that manifested itself in my IT endeavours at that time.

Part of the problem going back to say 2017, is discovering there are things other that work about which I am so much more passionate. I could also say my role has changed over time which has impacted my feeling.

The reality is simple. I earn a good salary where I am. And there isn't any other company or any other role that appeals to me at this time. I'm stuck in my job for my own good. This is why sometimes redundancy is a good thing, it's a chance to breakout and try something new, without that kick, nothing changes. I don't fear redundancy partly because I'll get at least a months salary statutory redundancy pay, but also it frees you from the constraints of the weekly slog, finally you have time to sort out the things that matter in your life, and hopefully bounce relatively quickly refreshed into a new role.

I am not passionate about IT. I am not passionate about my work. And - in all honesty:

I will never be passionate about IT*

So, now we have got that out the way, what are you passionate about? And maybe we can use some of those things you're passionate about to make you effective in your career!

I sat down and thought about all the things I am passionate about (or at least I like very much, strong like and passion are sometimes hard to separate). And whilst making this list, there was something which helps me with my work and career. Really, it is very simple

I am passionate about being good at my job (being professional.)

And I can be passionate about this all the time and anywhere!

Below is the spider web diagram I wrote with the center being "I am passionate about". Many passions. There is a time and a place for these passions. In reality, most of these passions I don't have much time for - perhaps just for holidays, redundancy, or retirement. Time is precious!

Image: I am passionate about

*It is important to be honest with yourself. I've been vainly trying to be passionate about my work, and it's been getting me down "why can't I get any excitement, any passion for this!?" If I'm honest with myself and admit "I will never be passionate about IT" then I can get over it, and it won't depress me - my lack of passions for what I do - and I can turn my energy to things I am passionate about (like simply being good at my job and being professional.)