What the Coronavirus Pandemic has Taught Me


The Coronavirus Pandemic is a massive dose of reality for many people, including myself. I've been very wasteful with my money over the years. As of this moment I have nothing in savings, and this is partly because interest rates have been so bad it makes more sense to pay off loans first. That's another thing, because it's been so easy, I've borrowed and borrowed and borrowed, like a total fool. This pandemic has brought it home how important it is to have something in reserve for the unexpected, and to never be in debt (excepting perhaps a mortgage).

Q: Is Covid-19 going to cause a great depression? How safe is your employment?
A: Who knows. Only time will tell. F*ck it - what will be will be! If nothing's happened to you yet, brace (be ready/prepare) for the worst! You'll survive.

The only good thing I've done (with my finances) is overpay my mortgage. Now I realise, you always need to have a battle chest to survive uncertain/unexpected times.

So, what am I doing?

As long as I'm not laid-off soon, I should be able to build a battle chest. If I'm not made redundant in the next 3 months, I think I might be okay.

After tax I earn around £3500 a month. I'm very very lucky to earn this amount. But also, the more you earn the more you tend to spend. My monthlies are close to £3500 a month if I include money I spend on credit cards for food, car insurance, entertainments, etc. Even forgetting my credit cards, my expenses are £2600 a month.

My major expenses include: £1000 mortgage, £500 for the wife, £500 for car finance and car storage, £300 on a personal loan, and at least £300 other stuff. Car finance costs me £340 a month.

What I have done so far:
- From April, I will underpay my mortgages by £750 a month.
- Will stop using car storage and save £120 a month.
- Cancelled my life insurance at a meagre £25 a month (I have no dependencies who live with me, and if I was to die my estate should be good enough to provide for my wife - I feel that needs must.)

Not a massive amount of savings there (hard to reign in my finances too much), but nearly £900 per month reduced expenditure should allow me to save for that battle chest.

I'm lucky that I can underpay my mortgage by £750 a month for 28 months if I so wish, for now I've just enabled 8 months.

I must get out of debt. I have a personal loan - which is currently £12200 and I repay £300 per month - that I need to deal with first. Then there's the car finance - which is £340 per month for nearly 4 years with a £23000 balloon at the end. Unfortunately I can't easily get out of the car finance (I need to have paid 2/3 of the agreement before cancelling). All the time I need to keep an eye on my interest-free credit card which is interest-free no longer from July 2021.

Also, I will minimise my expenses as best I can. I.e. no unnecessary expenses, sensible with the food bill, energy/resource efficient.

If it all goes completely wrong (I lose my job and can't find something that pays close to what I'm paid now), then I'll have to sell my daily car (which isn't worth a massive amount), try and buy out the finance on my dream car and then sell it (probably won't make much money from doing that), and finally, sell my house (assuming house prices haven't slumped like 50%) and everything in it.

Finger's crossed I'll keep my job for a few months longer. Every day I'm still employed I'll count myself very lucky. Every month I get paid a salary, I'll rejoice. Will never take employment/income for granted.

What will be will be. If I'm made redundant, f*ck it, I'll survive (with my wife - we'll make things work out.) Just get on with it, get motoring, get productive!

I like this phrase "What will be will be - f*ck it! Get on with it!".

F*ck car finance!
F*ck personal loans!

Note: For a lot of people, this world-changing event is going to make them think seriously about their finances. The days of borrow, borrow, borrow are gone. This is what's going to affect the world economy long-term, a lack of consumer confidence, people being reluctant to spend, and keen to save for if another pandemic comes. When this pandemic is over - and it will be over one day - the memory is going to live on a long time after.