Return to Thailand - What to Do? [Diary of Thailand 2024.1] Part 1 of 2

Today is Sunday the 25th of February 2024. And I'm back in Thailand.

Friday 23rd of February 2024

My trip started on Friday 23rd. This time I took the train to the airport because the cost was roughly £40 versus up to £300 if I parked my car at the airport. A disadvantage with the train approach is walking to/from the train station, you might get very wet. Another disadvantage is the time (and convenience), it takes a bit longer on the train versus driving.

The flight was very bumpy. Every time I'm on one of these 12-hour economy class flights, I think to myself "never again". In fairness, it's not all that bad. Get served 2 pretty decent meals. Get to sleep a little/watch a movie/read a book/listen to music. I watched one movie on the flight "A Haunting in Venice" and thought it was pretty good. I tried watching a few other movies/documentaries but either switched off or fell asleep - not the greatest choice. Towards the end of the flight I discovered the audio book section on the in-flight entertainment system - I really need to spend more time on this for future flights.

One thing I quite like about flights is that you're off the grid (pretty much - unless your flight has wi-fi). No mobile phone signal. No access to social media sites 😊

Saturday 24th of February 2024

Touchdown around 4pm. I took the public transport system to my hotel (Adelphi Suites Bangkok) again. I had a bit of a weird evening, I'd managed to arrive on one of those alcohol-free Thailand days, so much of the night entertainment was closed. The hotel restaurant was busy, so I went for a walk, and ended up getting a Burger King (good places seemed to be busy at the ~ 7:30pm time I was out, even Burger King was a 15 minute wait.) I did walk around Nana Plaza (it was closed) and got grabbed by a few African ladies on my route. Must admit, I really like African ladies, not sure if I'd ever pick one up of the street though.

I think experiences are good. Even if what you're doing might be looked down on by certain self-righteous sections of society. My thoughts are "everything is pretty much okay as long as you are not hurting anyone." If I saw a stunning black lady on the street ...

Sunday 25th of February 2024: AM

Woke at 0555. Left the hotel for my run at 0630. My Lumphini running route is below:


I've not been running since probably November and not done much fitness in the meantime. I might have pushed myself too hard. I had to stop in Lumphini to take a drink. On the way back I walked a lot - I was exhausted. In the 7-Eleven close to the hotel I almost passed out (stars were going in front of my eyes.) It is good to push yourself but not good to overdo it.

I had a good English breakfast at the Monsoon restaurant. And went for a small walk. Then back to my hotel which is where I am now.

What to do?

Let's keep it simple. At a high level: I'm here to spend time with the wife, relax, improve my fitness, eat good food, read books, listen to music, and  do some productive (work-related) stuff (i.e. be productive).
  • Go running in the morning on non-travel days (February 25, 27, 28, 29 & March 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 - 2 times in Bangkok and 7 times in Pattaya.)
  • Have a good breakfast everyday (breakfast in the room on March 1st.)
  • Do stuff that will make you better, more efficient and less stressed at work (see below):
    • *Some effort for existing customers (i.e. tying up any loose ends)
    • *Learning courses
    • *Blog posts
  • Have a good supper everyday (skip lunch)
  • Watch a movie (maybe before supper) / experience the night life.
  • Emails, bare minimum please.
  • Finally, social media (last as least - I almost went with no social media whilst on holiday):
    • Couple of Instagram posts every day.
    • Maybe a little l*** d*** forum time.
    • Maybe a little discord time.
    • No YouTube (except for music and educational purposes)
* Detailed on my phone.

Sunday 25th of February 2024: PM

I had a good meal and then an early night. I did think about venturing out but decided not to on account of seeing the wife the next day.

Monday 26th of February 2024: The Disaster / Nightmare

This is the day I realized I'd been 100% right on my last Thailand vacation not to visit the wife!

The day started well with a good breakfast. Then I took the public transport back to the airport and got the Bell bus service to Pattaya. I was in good spirits.

Arrived at the Dusit Thani Hotel Pattaya around 14:30 and the hotel staff were great. Got  a free upgrade to a club room and other free stuff whilst waiting.

Then the wife arrived. She looked old, fat and ugly. My heart sank when I saw her. 8 nights / 7 days with her. Unfortunately, as a foreigner in Thailand you have to be careful and whilst I'd love to be honest with her and say what I think, I'm stumped. 8 nights / 7 days with a short, old, fat and ugly woman I do not find even remotely attractive. I don't hate her and personality wise she is okay (only okay, she's lazy, nothing very interesting about her) but I know now that I cannot be with her. She is never going to change. She is not going to revert to the lady I knew. She'll only get older and fatter and uglier. I cannot be like my dad - I don't want to be a relatively slim and youthful guy with a fat wife. I could cope with short, old and ugly but fat is where I draw the line. Years of a sense of shame of having a fat mum cannot be repeated with years of shame with a fat wife.

So, I will (for the last time - it is not happening again) endure these 8 nights / 7 days with her, and look forward to leaving Pattaya never to see her again.

I'll pick up the story on Tuesday 5th March when I'm back in Bangkok.

Randoms Monday 26th of February to Tuesday 5th March

Comment on the Dusit Thani: I think the hotel is okay. For the price the room is quite small. The internet seems a bit poor though (I guess simply too much demand). It is perhaps a bit too high-society for me. But the staff are great and the wife got a surprise birthday cake. The view is excellent.

I am currently reading Jordan Petersons "12 Rules for Life - An Antidote to Chaos" and this episode makes me think I really need to apply rule 2 to my situation (one for another blog post):

Rule 2: Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping.

Breakfasts: (T) Baywatch, (W) Robin Hood Tavern, (Th) Sportsman, (F) Baywatch, (S) PBG, (Su) Green Tree, (M) Anytime Cafe
Evening Meals: (M) PBG, (T) PBG, (W) Green Tree, (Th) Robin Hood Tavern, (F) Nong Jai, (S) Anytime Cafe, (Su) Big C Food Court, (M) Robin Hood Tavern
Cinemas: (T. 27) The Beekeeper, (Th. 29) Dune Part 2, (S. 2) Oppenheimer (DVD), (M. 4) Ge Ji
S/W from Sat. 24:
(S)XX(M)W(T)XX(Th)W(F)X
X(Su)W(M)X(T)W(W)?
Running from Sun. 25: YNYYYYYYYNY (N's were travel days)
Snoring from Mon. 26: OK, Terrible, OK, Annoying, OK, Annoying, Annoying, OK

Her fitness is poor. Asthma is no excuse. It’s like she’s made 0 effort regards fitness. And she knows I hate fat and like to walk. Her walking is so slow. I do not enjoy walking with her.  And I go running every full day in Pattaya, she makes 0 effort and doesn’t like that I like to walk everywhere (so I end up either walking a lot slower than I’d like, or on the baht bus.)

Night of March 1st I was lying in bed next to her and wishing I was with a lovedoll instead. I love sleeping with my lovedolls - they are beautiful, slim, sexy and don’t snore! I love to cuddle and kiss my lovedolls, not her (the wife). I don’t like sleeping with her, it is simply something I am enduring.

Sunday 3rd March. We’d had breakfast at 10:30. She comes back 3 hours later with a KFC and cakes (first 3 hours I’ve had away from her - except for running - this holiday.) She wants me to be fit like her (like my mum wanted me to be fat because she was fat.) We had planned a nice evening meal but that’s not an option now. I’m grateful for the KFC but would much rather we’d waited until this evening to eat.

And I don’t like being asked to smile (I like to smile naturally when I naturally want to) and being asked what the plan is (it gets tiring being the one who has to plan everything and having someone trail after you everywhere reaping the benefits of your plan without putting in any effort.)


Tuesday 5th of March 2024: 

To be continued...