How is 2024 Going So Far?

Today is Saturday 27th January 2024. The time is night time - circa 9pm. And I feel like having a good think about how the year is going so far.

The 2nd of January I received a long awaited delivery (was waiting since August 2023) and it's probably thrown my "2024: Beneficial Guidelines" out of whack. I need to get back on track.

I've wasted far too much time on Discord, forums, Instagram, YouTube and have been checking my emails far too regularly (addicted to notification hits it seems). Honestly, I know spending time on these things is very much a waste of time. And it's got me wondering.

Q: Do I need these things in my life at all?

A: Truthfully. No. You lived totally fine until very recently with no Discord, forums or Instagram. There is very little benefit in those platforms.

Q: What do I gain from Discord/forums/Instagram?

A: Truthfully, very little. Perhaps a little social interaction. Perhaps a sense of building something (of dubious value.) And - as Buddhism teaches us - nothing is permanent!

Q: What about YouTube?

A: There are some beneficial things in YouTube. Learning about politics, cars, computing. You can definitely learn. But scrolling endlessly through your feed and not being able to find anything interesting, then just plumping for something, isn't productive.

Q: Do I need to re-evaluate my guidelines?

A: I think so! (Next post!)

~~~~~

There is nothing better I can do in my life than working hard. And desire to be the best at my profession. Discord, forums, Instagram, doll photography, should be relegated to minor parts of my life, not major time sinks.

The major parts of my life (in order most major = 1):

  1. Working
  2. Cars
  3. Exercise (fitness)
  4. Reading
  5. Blogging
  6. Dolls
  7. Family

~~~~~

A few quotes:

"When you love your work, you will be exceptionally diligent in what you do and you will excel in delivering both quality and quantity."

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life."

"Love your work, then you will find pleasure in mastering it."

"If you love your work, if you enjoy it, you're already a success."

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As will all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it."