Bah Humbug! What Would Be Your Perfect Christmas?

I'm not a fan of Christmas. Not been a fan for many years.

I honestly think Christmas is for children. They get presents for free because they cannot afford to buy their own stuff. But when you're an adult, getting presents (unless it's something super special a loved one has magically found) becomes a bit silly.

Or you could say Christmas is an occasion to bring friends and family together. When you like being alone in your own world, there is negative value in that.

Every year I spend say £25 on my brother, and he £25 on me, and often we just end up exchanging gift cards. Pointless!

Same with my parents. They've always spent say £40 on me (which is very generous) even though I say I'm happy with just a card. Pensioners buying their relatively well off son stuff for Christmas is quite daft (especially when it is usually gift cards). But they like doing it. Still. Pointless!

Then there's money for all my brothers children (fortunately only 4). Cousins I hardly ever see. And - to be honest - I don't care much for them. Not that they are bad people, I simply don't have the feeling. I'm not a family man, I'm simply a loner who loves the company of toys.

And Christmas cards. They all go in the bin after Christmas. I prefer getting those cheap packs of like 10 or 20 and using those for family. F^ck spending £2 on a "Happy Christmas Mother!" card - outrageous!

Then Christmas day! I'd love to stay at home, but no, got to do my family duties and see the ancient parents, and deliver some presents because I'm so disorganized.

This is what my Christmas day is looking like.

1) Drive down to the South West to see my Dad in his apartment (~130 miles)
2) Take Dad to the care home so he can have Christmas lunch with my mum.
3) Drive to the brothers ex-wife to drop some stuff off (~ 20 miles)
4) Drive to my brothers to drop some stuff off (~ 30 miles) and maybe have a bite to eat
5) Return back to the care home to collect my Dad and return him to his apartment (~50 miles)
6) Chill out for a bit with pops, then get the hell out of Dodge and drive home (~130 miles).

Okay, it's not that bad. I actually quite like driving, I find it very relaxing. Stick some music on and let the miles melt away.

~~~~~

I have a cunning plan for Christmas 2024. A way that I can absolve myself of any UK Christmas family duties. I thought having a Thai wife might come in useful at some point. Christmas 2024 I'm planning to be in Thailand.

Of course, if I'm in Thailand, I will miss my lovely toys. Which makes me wonder...

Q: What would be your perfect Christmas?