Slave to a Wage!?

 I'm very grateful to my employer for employing me and paying me a salary. I know at any point I could decided to jack it all in, also, at any point, they could desire to fire me. But I have thoughts about wage slavery (not that I feel like a slave at all) and wonder if I could be living a more fulfilling life!? Heck I'm nearly 50 and I still don't have a clue why I am here and what I am doing on this planet.

A few quotes:

"Your salary is the bribe they give you to forget your dreams." 

  • Q: What are my dreams? (or has being paid a salary made me forget them)

"When the entirety of your earnings are exhausted on food and shelter. Your labours are no longer viewed as an opportunity for economic advancement, but rather as an act of self-preservation. In the realy world that's called ... slavery."

I'm fortunate I earn more than I need.

  • Q: What is economic advancement?
  • A: More savings. Less debt. Income from your investments (let the money work for you.)
"Like all wage slaves, he had two crosses to bear: the people he worked for and the people he worked with."

I'm lucky I don't bear these crosses.

"Yes, I got the job! Now I can avoid homelessness and afford to put one extra meal in my stomach during the half hour lunch break I get throughout my 8 hour shift , that takes up a half of my waking day. The other half of which I exist in a constant state of existential dread."

I'm also lucky that I don't live in a state of existential dream.

Q: Are you a product slave? Are you a slave to consumerism?
A: I think society is a bit that way. We're kind of taught to always lust after the next product, the better product - if only I had that then I would be happy. These products never make us happy beyond a brief happiness when we get our new fix of consumerism. So many of us (including me) are slaves to consumerism. I've got a perfectly fine car, why do I need to change it!? I've already got a load of these things, why do I need any more of them!? The powers that be want us to be zombies, ravenously consuming the next product. Get out of the cycle of product addiction.

Are you a wage slave?

The key thing is never to be in a position where getting sacked is a big deal. You should always do your work well, and work well in the knowledge that if you get fired right that day, you've had the economic sense to build some reserves and minimize debt. Feeling like you don't have to lick the boot that kicks you, sure helps you to un-stress and get on with your work.