Movie Reviews 2021.11.21

Just catching up on some movies I've watched recently:

The Wailing (2016) (South Korea)

'The Wailing' is a South Korean horror film, and I absolutely loved it. I recommended it to my boss too, and he loved it also (and so did his son.) Definitely 9/10.


PS I absolutely love foreign movies with subtitles (I helps me to pay attention.) I hate dubbed versions.

Dave Made a Maze (2017) (USA)

'Dave Made a Maze' is an America fantasy adventure comedy horror, and I absolutely loved it. I really like these oddball movies. Making a maze in my living room is something I'd love to do. It reminded me a bit in style of 'Being John Malkovich'. I liked this more than 'Being John Malkovich'. Easily 9/10.


Hari-Kiri: Death of a Samurai (2011) (Japan)

'Hari-Kiri: Death of a Samurai' is a Japanese drama - a tale of revenge, honor and disgrace. I liked this movie very much, and I was watching it after having had only 2 hours sleep the previous night, and it kept me gripped. I will admit to shedding a tear with this movie. I'll give it 7/10.


Arctic (2018) (Iceland)

Arctic is a 2018 Icelandic survival drama. This was a good movie. Mads Mikkelsen is one of my favourite actors. The ending of the film did bring a tear to my eye. I'll give it 7/10.


Doctor Sleep (2019) (USA)

I was watching this movie after having had a wisdom tooth removed. This was a good movie. I watched the directors cut which was perhaps a bit long. The film isn't a patch on The Shining, but it kept me entertained for nearly 3 hours. 6/10.


Crimson Peak (2015) (USA)

I quite like Guillermo del Toro's work, so thought I'd give this one a try. I liked it. I thought Jessica Chastain was very good. I wouldn't watch it again but a very good one time-viewing movie. I'll give it 7/10.


Split Second (1992) (UK?)

This came up in my Amazon Prime recommendations. I switched off after 30 minutes - I wasn't impressed. It is a low budget movie, and felt it. And whilst I am prepared to disengage my mind for movies, I simply wasn't enjoying this movie. I love Rutger Hauer, but even he seemed a bit off in this one. I can only give it 3/10.


Boss Level (2021) (USA)

I watched this on the Critical Drinker's recommendation. And yes, this was a good movie. Not brilliant or original (another influenced by Groundhog Day) but an entertaining way to spend 90 minutes. I think 6/10.