I Have Everything but Why Still Depressed?

Are you like me? You seemingly have everything but still depressed?
Odds are that we're similar. You're never alone in thinking the way you do.

Key thing: You are not alone in your thoughts!

Part 1: I Am Incredibly Lucky in Life

1) I have survived 40+ years
2) I am fit and healthy (I regularly enjoy running and keep-fit)
3) I have a wonderful wife.
4) I have an excellent job that pays very well.
5) I own a lovely house with less than 50% mortgage now!
6) I live in one of the best countries to live in the world.
7) I own two cars
- One worth ~£6k and fully owned
- The other worth ~£36k and with ~£30k finance.
8) I have been paying substantially into a pension for the last 7 years.
9) And more...

Part 2: What is the Major Issue (or worry) in your Life?

If you are feeling depressed, ask youself "what is the major issue (or worry) in your life?"
You need to be honest with yourself. You might think of lots of issues. There is only one Major Issue and this one major issue amplifies the minor issues. Once you know what is your Major Issue, the minor issues become just that, minor and not worth energy whilst you concentrate on understanding and solving your Major Issue (so that it then becomes a minor issue, and a new issue will become major). No one goes through life without issues, you are not alone having issues, we all do!

MAJOR WORRY) I am stressed about not being able to do the work tasks set me (failing.)

This is my major issue! I am not alone in having this worry - many people worry that they'll fail to do their work tasks successfully.
I want to be challenged at work, I want to be given learning opportunities. If I only ever do stuff I know and am comfortable doing, I'm learning nothing, not developing. I'm happy to be challenged and take up the challenge. I can always ask for help.

Part 3: List out Minor Issues

To make sure we've hit the nail on the head, list out your minor issues and see that they are not worth worrying about, not worth any energy, whilst you manage your major issue. The less clutter in your mind, the easier it is to see clearly and fix things.

Minor issues are often silly issues. Things you think are issues but you can't do anything about them. See my list of minor issues/non-issues for example.

- Missing my wife.
Would be nice to have the wife with me. Not worth worrying about this. Give it time and it will happen.

- If I could go back in time, I'd do things differently, I'd have stuck with engineering and become an automotive engineer.
This is a silly issue. You can't go back in time. I'm in my 40s, invested with mortgage and wife, changing career is not really an option at this time. Who knows, if I was sacked/made redudant, maybe. Again, I'm not alone in thinking this way, probably 99% of people think the same.

- I'd love to have enough money to retire and live life the way I really want.
Another silly issue. Again, I'm not alone in thinking this - probably 99% of people currently working wish they could retire and really live their lives.

Summary

None of the minor issues are worth my time. I need to focus on my major worry. In other words, work hard, ask questions, strive to be successful.

Image: "Depression is being colorblind and constantly told how colorful the world is" (learn to see the colors)