You’re a Long Time Dead!

I don’t know where this quote originally came from. I first heard it when watching one of Mr JWW's YouTube Videos (I can’t remember which one). I remember he was talking about why he daily drove his Porsche 911 GT3 RS - it’s not the car you’d typically daily drive - and it made total sense why he daily drove it. Not long after I sold my Turbo Diesel and got a Petrol Turbo (first time I’d had a petrol in 15+ years).

You’re a Long Time Dead!

From en.wiktionary.org it’s:
A reminder that we are all mortal, as a justification for enjoying life while one can.

It’s so true - we will be a long-time dead. The one certainty in life is death. So, whilst we’re alive, we might as well appreciate the time and do things that bring happiness!

Also, you don’t know what’s around the corner - the future is unpredictable. It’s easy to say to yourself “I’ll scrimp and save, deny myself of happiness now, so I can have some happiness in the future”, but what if that future never comes? What if the world falls to pieces - something you have no control over? (Human history is anything but predictable)

Image: Mr JWW in his Porsche 911 GT3 RS

These quotes from Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel are great:


“Nothing great in the world was accomplished without passion.”

“To be independent of public opinion is the first formal condition of achieving anything great.”

“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it.”

IMPORTANT NOTE

It is bad advice to say "you're a long time dead so you should go out and buy that sportscar you've always dreamt of which you cannot afford." It is easy for Mr JWW to say "you're a long time dead" when he's simply going out and buying a sportscar he can easily afford (the guy is absolutely loaded.) Reality is (and I know) that if you go out and buy that dream sportscar, and you're worrying about paying the finance every month, worrying about other costs/bills/using the car, then you are absolutely not going to enjoy your dream sportscar, in fact it might become a nightmare, so forget it, and consider "Nothing Really Matters!"